Choosing a city to relocate to is a big decision to make. However, if you have chosen Melbourne, then you are in for a treat! Melbourne, as you probably already know, is a local government area in Victoria, Australia. This beautiful city happens to be the second largest city in Australia, after Sydney and is one of the most amazing places to be. Apart from its amazing architectural structures, you are likely to experience its amazing culture. Food, art, and several hidden gems are what you can expect from this amazing city.
Sports fans would be happy to know that Melbourne is the sporting capital of Australia.
Employment is one of the most important thing to take note of when relocating to a new city. Melbourne has many job opportunities, regardless of the type you are interested in. Recent statistics show that over 93.2% of Melbourne’s population is employed. 58.0% of employees work a full-time job, while 33.5% works part-time. Here are a few tips you could try, while searching for a job for the first time.
In Melbourne, most jobs are not advertised, so to stand a chance, you would need to try the following options:
One of the best ways to secure a job quickly in Melbourne, Australia is by networking. This method helps you gain an in-depth knowledge of what jobs are available easily. You can also try contacting the human resources department of the companies you’re interested in.
Job seekers websites
Joining job seekers websites like LinkedIn, Jora, LiveHire, Next Step Australia, and SEEK, allows you to view the available jobs. These jobs can be narrowed down based on your interest, so you can get one that suits you. Recruitment agencies also advertise available jobs on these websites. You will find something that interests you in no time!
Professional and trade associations
Being a part of the trade and professional associations has its advantages, one of which is, providing networking programmes. These corporations look out for the well being of their members, and thus, can help with employment. Some of these associations advertise jobs that might not be on newspapers or job seeker websites.
Trying out one of the aforementioned options would aid in the process of getting your first job.
Work permit process for foreigners
Having a work permit in Melbourne is vital. Every foreigner, except for those moving from New Zealand, will need a work permit. A work permit/visa will give you the freedom to work legally without hassle. The process involves the following:
- Finding an employer to nominate you: To get a working visa, you will need an employer to submit a nomination form on your behalf.
- Visa application: This process involves filling out a lot of forms correctly without error. Do take your time when filling up the paperwork.
- Visa appointment: You will get called for an appointment, after which, you will be informed if it was accepted or not.
- You can then apply for a professional visa to live and work for up to four years.
Housing and cost of living
According to recent statistics, the cost of renting a home in an average neighbourhood is $1,939 a month, for a well-furnished 900sqft home. In pricier neighbourhoods, the rent could go for as high as $2,530. This excludes utilities like electricity and water, which can be as high as $331. If you need help cleaning your house, cleaners can be hired at around $30 an hour. However, if you’re looking to buy a house, then that’s a whole different ball game.
According to statistics, the price of a house has doubled over the years. Thus, a home that cost $500,000 in the past might cost over $900,000 — $1million now. The reasons for this rise could be the fixtures or the location. If you’re searching for the more affordable areas, then you should try:
- Kurunjang ($387,000)
- Melton South ($420,500)
- Melton West ($439,500)
- Wyndham Vale ($500,000)
These are by far the most affordable suburbs. They are all beautiful locations and are layered with the best amenities.
Schools and education system
When relocating with children, schools may be one of the top priorities when choosing a neighbourhood. Proximity to good schools is important. The education system in Melbourne is divided into 3 main divisions: Preschool and Nursery, Primary school and High school and Tertiary Institution.
Students are taught by trained and skilled teachers and in a conducive environment for learning. The Melbourne education system was given a perfect score from the Economists Intelligence Unit’s Global Liveability Survey 2018. It also ranks third in the QS Best Student’s Cities’ rankings 2018. Also, two universities in Melbourne; The University of Melbourne and Monash University, are ranked among the World’s Top 100 Best Universities.
There are a lot of schools available for foreigners and they are known to give the best education. You can get more information if you browse through websites like Study Melbourne.
Driving licenses and its requirements
Being mobile is a huge requirement, especially in a new location. Getting your driving license in Melbourne is super easy, as long as you follow these steps:
The first thing to check is to see if you are qualified to apply for a driver’s license. To transfer an interstate license, you would need to make an appointment with VicRoads. The license will be converted over a period of 3 months.
Booking an appointment
You can easily book an appointment by visiting any VicRoads customer service center. You do not need any documents to book an appointment.
Here’s what you should bring on the day of your appointment:
- Evidence of identity (current interstate license).
- Proof of a new address, that is, any document that shows your new address. It could be utility bills, your rental agreement, or an updated bank statement.
- A secondary form of identification, like an ATM card.
- Your current overseas license written in English. If you have it in another language, then you will need to get it translated into English.
- A letter of confirmation. This is necessary if your current overseas license is currently unavailable, you should get a letter with a formal letterhead to confirm your story. This letter could be written by your issuing country’s driver license authority.
- A completed license permit application form.
- Payment of necessary fees. A new driver’s license usually costs around $80.
Once all of this is verified, you will be issued a temporary form of license, until your plastic license is ready.
Generally, Australia has great healthcare systems that are fit to cater to the needs of everyone. From children, adults, pregnant women, physically and mentally challenged. In Victoria, which is where Melbourne is located, their emergency number is 000. Paramedics will arrive at your house within minutes of calling 000. The police and fire brigade may also be reached at the same number. Being an emergency number, you do not require a network coverage or calling minutes in your phone.
Medicare gives eligible users access to free medicine and cheaper access to health care. You can get Medicare if you are a legal citizen, have applied for a permanent resident visa, or are visiting from a country with similar medical arrangements. These countries include New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Sweden, Finland and Italy.
Medicare is also open to those with a visiting visa from these countries for 6 months. Unfortunately, it does not apply to student visas as students have to apply for overseas student health coverage.
Applying for a Medicare card is easy and straightforward. You simply have to:
- Fill out the Medicare application form.
- Print out the form, and with the requested medical documents, visit a Medicare Service Center.
- Once you have been approved, you will be given a Medicare card that you can show during your visit the doctor.
This way, you have a discount with every visit to the doctor, plus, you can decide to visit a Bulk Billed doctor. Bulk billed doctors are already paid by Medicare, so you will not need to spend more money.
There are also services for mother and child support, which involves educating new moms on child health. You will be well informed on everything regarding the proper growth, nutrition and health of your baby. This is to ensure that you and your baby are in good health.
Melbourne is one of the safest cities in the world, where you can raise a family comfortably. There are low risks of pickpocketing, mugging, theft, shootings, and killings. Melbourne ranks as the 10th safest cities in the world right now. Also, the security personnel are always on the lookout and willing to help out however they can. Living in Melbourne is pretty safe and secure.
Food and culture
As you may already know, Australia is a highly diverse and culturally-oriented location. Melbourne is filled with multiple restaurants and cafes, so if you are a foodie, then you are in luck. It doesn’t matter what your preference is; they have it there. Healthy vegan meals, loads of junk food, desserts, drinks, all of it! There are so many different delicious meals and drinks that you must try once you arrive. Some of the top spots are Ricotta hotcakes at Top Paddock, Baller bucket at Belle’s Hot Kitchen, and several others.
Melbourne is also, great for people who love art. There are many theaters and galleries for you to explore. Some examples are the National Art Gallery of Victoria and the Victorian Art Center. There are also, great ballet performances and orchestra at the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra and the Australian Ballet. These companies conduct performances throughout the year, so you will be entertained all the time.
Below are a few fun facts that you would love to know about this amazing location.
- The Melbourne tramway system used for transport is the 4th largest in the world (244km of tracks and 450 trams).
- Melbourne has a lot of foxes, with 6–23 foxes per square kilometer. What’s even more interesting is the fact that it is rare to see one. How ironic is that?!
- As recently as 2013, statistics show that a whopping 38% of Melbourne’s population were born overseas.
- The Tramcar Colonial Restaurant is Melbourne’s most popular restaurant. Why? It takes you around the city circle route while you enjoy your meals.
- A person who was born or lives in Melbourne is called a Melbournian.
With this information, you’re ready to be a Melbournian. Enjoy your stay and document every minute of it.